Vegan Cassoulet by Twyla
- 2 cups cooked Chili Smith Tarbais of Lodi beans
- 8 oz package of tempeh, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 15 crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 carton Pomo diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup red wine or water
Water or wine sauté the tempeh cubes, stirring frequently until the tempeh is golden-brown.
Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Add more water/wine if needed. Add a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper and sauté the vegetables about five minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add the mushrooms. Cook until the moisture from the vegetables and all of the water has evaporated.
Add the tomatoes and beans along with the Bay leaves, parsley and thyme.
Bring to a boil -- add more water/wine if the stew is too thick - and turn the heat to a level where it boils gently.
Serve over Chili Smith Brown or Blonde Rice.