Steve’s Ham Bone Healthy Soup
by Chili Smith
*Note – This soup can be made with any Chili Smith Heirloom bean, and with or without meat.
Meat and Beans:
- 1 pound Chili Smith Christmas Lima heirloom beans – presoak 8 – 12 hours in clear water – no salt or seasoning.Rinse and place in heavy bottom pot or pressure cooker with ham bone, ham shanks, ham hocks (or lamb!)
- 1 quart water – make sure beans are covered
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Chili Smith Soup Seasoning – Garlic, Lemon Pepper, Oregano, Cumin, Dry Mustard, Salt and Paprika
- Bring to boil or to 10 pounds pressure and reduce heat to simmering. Cook until tender – approximately 2 hours traditional or 15 – 20 minutes pressure While that is cooking…
Soup and Veggies:
- Add meat and beans to soup pot – aren’t you glad you got a BIG one now? – and turn gently from bottom.
- Bring back to simmer and allow to gently cook for 15 minutes or more until everything is ready!
- Add a little moisture – water or broth – if needed
- DO NOT overcook!
It is ready to eat and will be delicious now, but will be even better after is has chilled and rested in the refrigerator overnight.
Sour cream, Corn or Tortilla Chips, Diced Green Onions or jalapeños, Sharp Cheddar Cheese – shredded and excellent with fresh Cornbread…
Freezes very well or can be refrigerated for several days for ‘grab and heat’ quickie meals.