- 1 pound of Heirloom Beans – Dried weight – makes almost 3 pounds cooked
- 6 Strips Bacon – diced very fine
- 1 Onion – Diced fine – in two halves
- 1 pound Ground Beef or other meat
- 1 can (15oz) Tomato Sauce 2 TBL Chili Smith Seasoning
Beans: In pot
- Rinse and soak in clear water for 12 hours or so until rehydrated.
- Change water and cover to one inch above beans in clear, cool water and simmer for about an hour until tender.
- Add Salt and ½ onions to water prior to cooking.
Base: In large skillet
- Sauté Bacon until almost browned.
- Add onion and sauté until clear Add small chucks of meat and sauté until browned.
- Add Tomato Sauce and blend Cover and allow simmering for 20 minutes.
- Add Seasoning and mix into base.
- Cover and allow simmering for 10 minutes.
Blend: Bring beans without juice to base
- Mix beans into base and blend together.
- Add Bean Broth if needed Simmer for an hour and enjoy!
Cook in advance and refrigerate for a day for extra flavor.